Wednesday, November 23, 2005

God of Debugging

I want to share an amazing story from my friend, Sieweng, who works here at I2R with me. I meet her every morning on the bus to work, and we would chat about many things. One day, we talked about prayer: that it is about having a conversation with God. I told her that we have a God who desires to help us in all our problems.

Sieweng is writing a program for one of her research work. She has spent a lot of time debugging the complex program. About two weeks ago, she got really frustrated over a particular bug, so she asked her God to help her. That Sunday night (13 Nov '05), she had a dream. In the dream, she solved the bug and was extremely happy. When she woke up, she tried to remember the solution but could not. She felt a little upset, but she was encouraged by the dream to work at the program again.

So that faithful Monday morning, she studied the bug. She had an idea to view the problem from a different perspective, and tried it out. Suddenly, the program worked! She felt so happy that the next morning on the bus, she was still beaming about it when she told me about her marvelous encounter with God.

To others, it may all seem like a coincidence. But many of us who have been touched by God in a similar way know how it feels. You know deep in your heart that it did not happen by chance.

No comments: