Thursday, May 20, 2010

BananaLOG?

Okay, I've been meaning to explain the name of this blog for a while.

In secondary school (grades 7-10), I was in the yellow house (kinda like those in Harry Potter movies). My house did a play called "Bananas and Cheese", if I remember the name right. The scriptwriter said he chose "bananas" because as a Chinese growing up in an English-speaking American-loving culture, he feels like a banana: yellow on the outside but white on the inside. Since then, I called myself the "Banana Guy", not just because I love eating the fruit, but also because I really *really* sucked at Chinese.

The name kinda stuck on me, and got embarrassing after I graduated from high school. But since becoming a Christian, I realized that God has a purpose for me in being a bridge between the East and the West. I was born again in the East in Singapore, grew up in the Lord in the West in America, and am returning soon to the East to my homeland.

I am ever aware of the special destiny that God has given my culture and my country. But I also appreciate the baton that the Western Church is passing to us, through two thousand years of incredible inheritance. Growing up, I have seen my culture reject Christianity as a Western religion. All this is changing. When the Holy Spirit prevented Paul from preaching in Asia (Acts 16:6), He had an end-time purpose in mind. The gospel has swept around the globe, and now Asia is in the middle of the greatest revival ever. More is coming! We are rising up to our unique part in the body of Christ. We are learning that Jesus is not only of the Jews nor only of the West, but the desire of all nations. I am amazed by how Jesus is manifesting himself to Asia now (1, 2, 3, 4) just as in the days of Paul and Peter!

So yes, BananaLOG is a play on words, the LOG book of a Banana, a B-LOG. That this is also a blog of a crazy person, one who has gone bananas. It is foolishness to the world, and I am deeply aware of that :) But I'm not claiming everything is right either :P I pray everyone practices Godly discernment. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

3 comments:

tan_siew_ling_karen@hotmail.com said...

i was graduated from nus and have never been to america but i think that as chinese we have a choice of religion. being a christian may mean being persecuted but we must endure such things in order to prove our value in god's eyes!!!

shaowei said...

yeah, the thought of persecution is scary, and i still struggle with trying to prove myself to God too. the amazing thing is that He loves us even if we do nothing for Him and everything against Him, and to prove that, He sent His one and only Son, while we were still sinners. i love that about Father God :) His love gives us courage to overcome anything that comes our way, even persecution. and we love because He first loved us :)

C said...

Love the written vision of the culmination of purpose and then it's continual unfolding. Voice of passion and adventure, as on a threshold, is so exciting. :)