Thursday, February 17, 2011

His yoke is light

Last week at church, I saw in my mind a picture of a person juggling two balls happily. God was standing at the side. He was throwing in more balls, and the person struggled to juggle more and more of them. But all God wanted him to do was to pass the balls on, not to hold all of them in his hands. I saw that this is how much God was desiring to pour out to the world around us through us, but He didn't want us to be overwhelmed.

Today, I read this on pg 40 of the book "The Cause Within You" by Matthew Barnett.
The beauty of the cause God gives you is that it is tailor-made for you. Like the Scripture says, "His yoke is light and the burden easy to bear." That's because your cause will utilize the strengths He has endowed you with. [...] When you carry His load, it is light, especially in comparison to the burdens you create for yourself.
What I really like is what he said next!
Here's the image I carry in my mind of how this works: when I start to feel overwhelmed, it's because I am heaping unproductive burdens on my shoulders; all I am doing is accumulating more commitments that do not facilitate positive results. But when I am fulfilling the cause that God gave me, I am continually giving to others, depleting the weight of whatever I have accumulated for the journey. The more I give, the lighter I feel. Sometimes, when I have given all I can give in that situation, I feel as light as a feather. I'm tired, sure, but I am exhilarated because I gave it all away and it's making a positive difference in someone else's life. It gives me a light-headed feeling, an unburdened feeling.
Let us be floodgates, not dams, of His blessings.