Monday, May 18, 2009

Don't try!

From "Good Morning, Holy Spirit" by Benny Hinn, Chapter 12.

***

Just after I began to preach the gospel, I met David DuPlessis. He was known as "Mr. Pentecost" as a result of his presentation of the Holy Spirit to world religious leaders. He was a charismatic before anyone knew what the word meant.

I was walking down the same hallway with this anointed man at a conference in Brockville, Ontario, when I summoned the courage to stop him and ask a question. I nervously asked him. "Dr. DuPlessis, how can I truly please God?"

The old man, who is now with Jesus, stopped, put his briefcase down, pointed his finger in my chest and pushed me against the wall. I certainly didn't expect that from a frail preacher. All I had said was, "How can I please God?" and he nailed me to the wall. Then he said two words that I have never forgotten. He said: "Don't try!" He picked up his little case and walked on down the hall.

I caught up with him and said, "Dr. DuPlessis, I don't understand."

He calmly turned around and said, "Young man, it's not your ability. It's His ability in you." Then he said, "Good night," and walked into his room.

As I walked into my room, I was still puzzled. I lay down on my bed and thought about those words. "It's not your ability. It's His ability in you."

In that moment I hardly knew what to pray, but the Spirit began to unlock the truth of those words to me. How can I please God? By yielding! By not even trying. It was just as Mr. Pentecost said. The Holy Spirit will do the work. It's not my strength; it's His. Otherwise I would boast of my own accomplishments.

***

2 comments: