Friday, December 18, 2009

Thoughts on teaching

It's late, I'm doing my laundry, and I'm still up. I'm thinking about my students.

I had a privilege of teaching an undergraduate math class this semester. It was completely different from relief teaching in high school. Mainly because they're so much closer in age and they're also much smarter than me. Seriously! And they are some of the most amazing, motivated, curious people I've met. Seriously!

I just finished grading their exam today and turned in the textbooks. I think I miss them already :P

Some of them are going to be so amazed by how they did overall. Its awesome, they should celebrate! Congrats!!

Some of them are going to feel disappointed. They did not do as well as they hoped. But they tried their best, and for that, they should celebrate!

At the same time, our emotions are important. It is natural to feel sad, especially if it is something we worked very hard on. And God is someone who empathizes with us. He is here to say, "I know how much it hurts." It really does hurt.

But they will arise from the dust. The wind and the sand cannot stop them. They will not give up. That is their greatest victory.

No comments: