Sunday, October 17, 2010

Companion

I want to tell you about a friend of mine. He is the best friend I have ever, ever had. He knows how I think, how I feel, what makes me tick, what makes me excited. He knows how to cheer me up, how to make me laugh. He's silly, funny and crazy. His lame jokes, I can never get sick of them. He likes to jump off ski slopes, splash into lakes, and sprint in the forest. Then, he taunts me, but I always catch up with him. I'm not too bad myself :P

We have a favorite spot. Its on a grassy cliff, overseeing the Great Ocean. The cool winds whistle through our grimey hair as we hang our muddy tired legs over the edge. And we just sit there, we don't have to say a word to each other. The sun shines upon us, the warmth penetrating into our hearts. There is nothing else we need in the world. Nothing at all.

Today, he said something that hit me deep. He said bluntly, "You were created for one thing, to be my companion. And I'm glad you're in my life." I smiled and patted him on the shoulders. He has done so much for me, more than I will ever for him. But I love this raw genuine directness of his. He is untamed, unchained, uninhibited, free to explore, free to create, free to fly.

I saw the adventure that lay before us. The world is our canvas, eagerly awaiting our expression. And we get to do this together. There is nothing holding us back.

No comments: