Thursday, December 08, 2005

Dude, who made the car?

Science discovers how the world works, pretty much like a mechanic investigating how a car works. In science, we do not invoke God in explaining our theories, just as a mechanic does not investigate who designed the car in the first place.

Yet, such questions about who created our world can be an important one.

We need find an answer for ourselves, whether this world has a Maker in the first place, and if it has one, who is this Maker. We should not leave the question unanswered because of our bias in how we think this world should operate: e.g. believing that this world should operate in a completely random and deterministic manner. Some people go through their lives without questioning their beliefs.

If we believe that this world operates in a random fashion, without a God, the question is: what are our reasons for believing this? Similarly, if we believe that this world has a God, what are our reasons for believing this? Contrary to popular belief, Faith goes hand in hand with Reason.

When I was an atheist, my reason for believing there is no God is this: because I do not see any evidence of His existence. I have heard stories of miracles, but I have never witnessed one in my life. It seems to me that all the miracle stories are made up by over-zealous Christians or other religious people. Many times, these people believe their own made-up stories!

Many events have occurred in my life since God revealed Himself to me. To me, the evidence of God is now undeniable. When I look back on my life, I realize that I was not approaching the question of God's existence in a fair manner. I had often rejected people's experiences or historical texts like the bible as false. I never investigated these accounts in a scientific manner, which is to reject them only when I find evidence of falsity. I rejected them because I had a bias: I believed that there could be no God. Instead, I was finding evidence to support my belief. "Evolution", "Dinosaurs", "Big Bang", "Science says so": these were some of the evidence which I collected against the Bible. And the best part was that I had never read or studied the text which I attacked so much.

As a science researcher, it excites me to learn new things about how our world works. It amazes me even more now, that all the beauty and symmetry in the laws of physics and in mathematics I had admired since young -- all this beauty is there because we have a wise, smart and creative God. This is one of the reasons why I love science so much: because I know that God has so much more in store for us to discover in His wonderful creation!

No comments: