Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Entertaining the possibility

God recently showed me a way of looking at faith that I had not understood before. Sometimes, when I think about faith, I think about believing absolutely that something is going to happen, or something is the truth or the reality. For instance, if God says, "It is going to snow tomorrow," I sometimes feel like I have to believe it absolutely or it might not happen. I start thinking in my mind, how it might happen because this week's weather is so warm, and whether I am testing God, and whether it would cause problems on the streets because cars don't know how to drive in the snow? I start wrestling in my mind, if it is God's voice or my own voice, and if I need to ask Him to confirm this, and if I just need to rest in how much He loves me, and if I have enough faith?

Perhaps God is just saying "What if it could snow in Berkeley, the way it snows in Tahoe?"

Entertaining the possibility. It really takes the stress off of you, to try to make something happen, when God wants to be the one to accomplish it. I'm learning that God wants to speak to me in the What-If's. What if everything you do every moment of every day could be fun? What if I can be in His manifest presence all the time? What if anything I could entertain the possibility of actually comes true? What if entertaining the possibility is all that is required of us? What if this is what Jesus meant when he talks about "faith as small as a mustard seed"? What if God understands and knows exactly how to satisfy fully every need for intimacy inside of me? What if I never ever have to bring His presence to the world, but it is more like a flood that I cannot contain because He is so with me all the time?

1 comment:

GazelleTrek said...

wahhh!! I love this, brother! ^_____^ Thank you thank you thank you!