Monday, August 01, 2011

What is faith?

In the past when I was an atheist, I constantly hear Christians tell me, "Believe in Jesus". But that just made no sense to me whatsoever. What does it mean to believe in Jesus? Is it like believing in Santa Claus? If it is, then I think Christians are a sad, deluded bunch.

Even after becoming a Christian, I continue to wonder sometimes what that really means. Jesus says, "Your faith has healed you." And that faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. What does it mean to have faith? Suppose I have a friend who has cancer. How do I pray for his healing? Oh God, does it matter to you that I want so much for my friend to be healed? Do You hear me more when I cry louder? I have learned that faith is not about how loud I cry. It is also not about how much I love my friend or how much I love God.

Or perhaps I should imagine the cells in his body recover one by one? Surely my imaginations influence the invisible supernatural reality. Some people have better, stronger imaginations than I do. Maybe they should pray for my friend instead? And perhaps some people are more anointed than others. Surely they know what they are doing. All I need to do is to find someone anointed. God will listen to him.

At the end of the day, I know that all I need is faith. But what is faith? Jesus, when you were with your disciples, why didn't you explain to them clearly what faith is?

But perhaps He didn't have to explain. Because it was plain to everyone then, the meaning of faith. I think faith has become such a complex thing because of the church. But it really isn't supposed to be hard, is it?

I have a friend Dewen whom I am very closed to. When I asked him to be my wedding coordinator, I was deep full of trust that he would take care of everything for me. And indeed he did. I have a lot of faith in my friend, because I know him so well. I have seen how responsible he is, and how much he cares about what is important to me.

Perhaps faith in Jesus is the same thing. It is relational, it is trust. How can we have faith in someone who is a stranger? This is why He first encounters us. He declares to us His love and His ability. It is not how much I love him, but how much He loves me. It is not how I can call on Him, but how He is able to deliver what He promised me. The more I know Him, the more I trust Him.

It is not my ability to hear Him, but His ability to speak to me.
It is not my ability to follow Him, but His ability to lead me.
It is not my ability to accomplish my dreams, but His ability to make them happen.
It is not my ability.

The sooner I realize this, the sooner I cease to worry and begin to enter into His rest. We need to have more faith. But He is the initiator and the perfecter of even our faith. Wow! He's got everything covered!

I have realized the power of testimonies when it comes to faith. Hearing someone else's relationship story with God awakes me to undiscovered realities of His personality and power. It tells me that what they have access to is also available to me. If they walk on water, then so will I. If they teleport, then so will I. If they are healed, then so will I and everyone that I know. Faith is infectious.

4 comments:

Jasper Loy said...

Didn't know you are getting married. Congrats! And hope to see you soon!

C said...

Perhaps the most astounding thing is how simple it is. We already have much much more than we can fathom.

The need to complicate stems from not being able to simply believe that things already are.

Anonymous said...

*like
good post! =)

Glen Davis said...

Well said.